We have been asked a number of times for a Manchurian sauce. This is a blend of flavours from Indian and China, and is very difficult to obtain in the UK, so here is a recipe using ingredients we sell here at Oriental Food Shop.
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 3cm piece of ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek chili paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce or one tomato, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
In a hot wok or frying pan fry the ginder and garlic for a minute in the vegetable oil. Add the spring onions, green chilli and sugar and cook for another three minutes.
Add the sambal oelek, soy sauce, vinegar, tomato, bell pepper and salt. Stir thoroughly and cook for another two minutes. To thicken, blend the cornflour with a little water and stir in for the last minute of cooking.
Garnish with chopped spring onions.